Thursday, November 4, 2010

No need to fire your tax man the internet already did that for you.

Now a days you can I can fill out and insert some numbers into a tax software and bam! my 2010 taxes are done and submitted without anyone validating if I am who I say I am.
Putting this aside, lets say the Internet makes filling your taxes very secure and invests money on making sure that the privacy of the users is respected and our information is not distributed to other websites. You still won't have a hard copy of your taxes and if by any chance the system fails you won;t have any record of your taxes. There are many pros and cons to opting for efilling as appose to going to an accountant to prepare them for you, but in my opinion the cons outweigh the pros. I am a very visual person and like to understand and hold in my hand what I am looking at. I don't think I would understand my results from submitting my taxes if I had to read it off of a screen. I like to have the paper in my hands saying what I turned in and what the outcome was.
If our country is going to resort to keeping it all online as our taxes are now and other government documents that can only be accessed to the Internet then people will be even less aware of there rights. Most people don't know whats going on in the government world and if you limit it to the Internet only, what will happen to the thousands of people who are not Internet users, are they not entitled to know whats going on as well.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree with your point more. After e-filling my taxes for a couple of years, I made a costly mistake on my 2008 taxes. This mistake could have been easily avoided if only I had physically filed my taxes with an accountant. He/she would have been able to see the mistake very easily. I had to wait months for my mistake to be corrected and finally receive my return. After this experience, I have learned that the internet is not always more convenient. From now on, I will think twice about the information I submit online. I will continue to do my shopping, and banking online and but I’ll leave my taxes to my accountant.
    -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there are many pros to e-filing for your taxes. One has a lot of priorities in their life and they don't really find the time to do certain tasks such as waiting in lines to file their taxes. Although people fear their loss of privacy by filing online, it is very efficient for time and you'll get your checks in the mail or deposited before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it all depends on the type of person. As you said there might be some people that feel better having a hard copy of the any transaction they are doing. But if you see in another perspective, many of the tax companies out there prepared your taxes in a tax software very similar to the the ones provided online. Your information is been exposed anyway and you can always print out a hard copy when you do your taxes online. As I said it is always good to have options and that how people will benefit the most.

    ReplyDelete